IT TOOK A STORM TO HELP ME BE PRESENT!
And then one day on this particular walk, it stormed!
5 Tips for Improved Mindfulness Walking/Exercise:
- CHANGE YOUR WALKING/EXERCISE ROUTE REGULARLY – Give your brain new information to process in the present.
- CREATE NEW PLAYLISTS – Combine some familiar songs and some new beats to listen to when you move! Switch them regularly. This prevents your brain from tuning out the familiar and wandering to other thoughts.
- GO WITHOUT MUSIC/PODCAST – Just take in the sense of sound around you.
- DON’T MAKE A PHONE CALL – This one can be tempting! Silence your phone notifications.
- DON’T JUDGE YOURSELF – Your mind will wander. It’s normal. Just bring it back to the present moment.
By Diane Bonilla – Licensed Professional Counselor
Diane is contracted by HMT to exclusively provide telehealth services to residents of Virginia. She received her Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology and English from Villanova University and her Master of Arts degree in Psychological Services from The Catholic University of America. She continued her post-graduate work at George Mason University’s Counseling Program, becoming licensed in 1996.
With 25 years of experience providing mental health services to the community, she is here to help you cope with pandemic-related stress and anxiety. Diane’s specialties include anxiety and stress management, bereavement, loss, and adjustment/ transition issues. To learn more about Diane, visit HERE.
Article originally published on Diane’s Waves of Wellness Blog.